This news release is intended for media purposes, and is current of the date of publication. Information is subject to change without notice.
KYOCERA to Break Ground on Third Kyoto Ayabe Manufacturing Facility
Company expands production of organic packages for microelectronic devices used in smartphones and tablet PCs
Artist’s rendering of Kyocera’s Kyoto Ayabe Plant
Kyocera’s microelectronic packaging technology can facilitate higher functionality, greater integration and slimmer designs in mobile communications equipment. The market for Kyocera’s package products is expected to grow as consumer devices incorporate multiple internal modules for camera, wireless, power amplifier and control functions.
In addition, the expanding IoT (Internet of Things) trend is expected to generate new applications for Kyocera products as wireless chips and sensor chips are increasingly modularized into packaging solutions based on organic material technology.
Until April 1, 2016, the Kyoto Ayabe complex was operated by the former Kyocera Circuit Solutions, Inc. (“KCS”), Kyocera’s wholly owned subsidiary specializing in high-density organic wiring boards, packages and large-scale printed motherboards for semiconductor devices. On April 1, 2016, KCS was merged into Kyocera Corporation as part of a business integration strategy to enhance the development of new products and markets while further expanding business synergies.
Since 2005, Kyocera’s Kyoto Ayabe complex has manufactured a wide range of organic packaging products, including FC-BGA (flip-chip ball grid array) substrates for high-end application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs). Over the years, Kyocera has cultivated cutting-edge technologies in high-density wiring and automated production processes to create smaller, lower-profile products. Kyocera’s second facility at Kyoto Ayabe was added in the summer of 2014, and the third, targeted for completion in December 2016, will strategically expand the company’s capabilities.
Outline of the Third Facility
|Name||Kyoto Ayabe Plant, Third Facility|
|Location||Ayabe City, Kyoto Pref., Japan|
|Facility size||Building area: 13,143m2 (steel-framed, two floors, 140×84m)
Floor space: 25,420m2
|Construction plan||Groundbreaking: April 21, 2016 (planned)
Completion: December 2016 (planned)
|Start of operations||April 2017 (planned)|
|Production||Organic packages for telecommunication devices|
- KYOCERA to Exhibit Fine Ceramic Components at Germany's Hannover Messe, Apr. 23-27
- KYOCERA to Build New Plant in Kagoshima, Japan, for Ceramic Microelectronic Packages
- Changes in Organizational Structure, Executive Officers and Management Personnel
- KYOCERA Files Suit Against Preh GmbH for Potential Infringement of Haptic Feedback Technology Patent
- Notice Relating to Kyocera Corporation’s Voluntary Adoption of International Financial Reporting Standards
- Notice Relating to Kyocera Corporation’s Intention to Apply to Delist American Depositary Shares from the New York Stock Exchange and Terminate Registration with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission