Eschew the temptations of life, fame, position and money
The concept of selflessness pervades the ideas of Nanshu Saigo. Being fair-minded and eliminating personal interest ― this selfless attitude is the most important element of a leader.
If you do not have the courage to set aside personal interest and risk placing yourself at great personal disadvantage, then you must not be a leader. The opening of the 30th passage in Nanshu-o Ikun states Saigo's thinking most clearly as, a person who needs not life, not fame, not position or money. I believe this type of person, above all others, has the ultimate qualification for leadership, and can lead us through the current social and economic fog.
Seiwajyuku Kanto Region Jyukucho Meeting (December 11, 2007) Summary
Learning about the Ideal State of a Leader from Nanshu Saigo
- To sustain success, control desire
- Kyocera's management is based on the spirit of Respect the Divine and Love People
- Encounter Nanshu-o Ikun, and learn the importance of selflessness
- Appoint leaders who have the character and qualities appropriate for the post
- Remain humble
- Eschew the temptations of life, fame, position and money
- Use no tricks
- Develop unshakeable will through adversity
- Main quotes