- Environmentally Friendly Products
- How to Search RoHS Compliant Connectors
- Guideline on Environmentally Hazardous Substances
Environmentally Friendly Products
What is the RoHS Directive?
This Directive prohibits, effective July 1, 2006, electrical and electronic equipment put on the market in the European Union from containing specified chemical substances exceeding the specified values.
[Specified chemical substance]
Lead (Pb) 1,000ppm, Mercury (Hg) 1,000ppm, Cadmium (Cd) 100ppm, Hexavalent Chromium, (Cr6) 1,000ppm, PolyBrominated Biphenyls (PBB) 1,000ppm, PolyBrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDE) 1,000ppm
Tackling lead-free plating
We are developing lead-free products in order to comply with RoHS directives taking effect on July 1, 2006. We were the first in the industry to establish a mass production line using tin-copper dual-layer plating that mitigates whisker formation as well as a line using gold plating and tin plating as lead-free plating alternatives (mass production started in January 2004). With tin-copper dual-layer plating, external stress can be dispersed and alleviated in order to mitigate whisker formation due to the structure of two types of tin-copper plating, matt type and semi-bright type. For details, please refer to the following PDF file.
To control environmentally hazardous substances, we are striving for "design that incorporates no environmentally hazardous substances," "manufacturing processes that contain no environmentally hazardous substances," and "controls that ensure zero environmentally hazardous substances."
- 1. Design that incorporates no environmentally hazardous substances
- Materials used in our products are entered in our database only after they are verified to contain no environmentally hazardous substances prior to development and design. Development and design are conducted using these materials listed in the database to achieve "design that incorporates no environmentally hazardous substance" thoroughly.
- 2. Manufacturing processes that contain no environmentally hazardous substances
- To thoroughly achieve our directive to "include no environmentally hazardous substances in our products," no environmentally hazardous substances are permitted in our manufacturing processes by our definitive control system, which also controls all materials purchased. We thoroughly control the variety of sub-materials used in our manufacturing processes to verify that they contain no environmentally hazardous substances.
- 3. Controls that ensure zero environmentally hazardous substances
- Products produced through "design that includes no environmentally hazardous substances" and "manufacturing processes that contain no environmentally hazardous substances" are verified periodically to achieve "controls that ensure zero environmentally hazardous substances."
Connectors are disassembled into components such as insulators, contacts, and others to verify that none of them contain a greater amount of any prohibited substance than the specified values.
How to Search RoHS Compliant Connectors
Search by part number or series number
By clicking "Connector Products. RoHS/Packaging Search" of design support tool in the navigation column on the right side of the screen, RoHS compliance status can be checked for each part number by entering part number (six digits) or Series number (four digits).
To retrieve through available pin counts for each Series
Through "Part No. List by Number of Positions" on the each Series product page, RoHS compliance status for each part number of your request can be checked.
Guideline on Environmentally Hazardous Substances
(For our suppliers)
Under the company creed "Respecting universe and loving people" and with the managerial creed "Contributing to progress and development of human society as well as pursuing happiness in physical and spiritual worlds for employees", Kyocera practices business activity keeping its mind in harmony with "the will of universe" that intends to call everything into play. Based on this managerial policy, we, Connector Products Division, Corporate Electronic Components Group, KYOCERA Corporation, is promoting activities for conservation of natures to strive for ecological management aiming at reduction in influencing destruction of environment, echo-system and so on. Here we, Connector Products Division, Corporate Electronic Components Group, KYOCERA Corporation, has established "Green Procurement Standards" in accord with the situation in which legal restrictions or social requirements regarding ecological activities have been advocated these days commencing with European countries. Based on the standards, for suppliers and there products that are supplied to us, we will advance the green procurement system to conduct the investigation and evaluation for impact on the environment. This activity will never proceed without cooperation of supplier companies. Please understand our conception and give your cooperation toward the "Green Procurement" of us, Connector Products Division, Corporate Electronic Components Group, KYOCERA Corporation.